Monday 24 September 2012

Week #7: Capoiera

It was a week that lacked excitement, but kept me busy nonetheless. Mostly, I was kept busy with three evenings of Capoiera. There have been three sessions running every week for a while now, but clashing activities have prevented me from making all of them in a single week. At last, this goal was achieved! In celebration of this momentous occasion, I met up with my housemate one lunchtime to practice some Capoiera down at Salamanca.

Until now, I've been sensible enough to remove the weight vest before all of the different Capoiera classes and have made sure that I'm driving to and from the sessions. They're utterly exhausting at the best of times, I wouldn't be able to finish a class if it was much harder and there'd be a decent chance of not completing the walk home. This week the format changed slightly, bringing near an hour's walk to and then again back from each class. On Friday, I also included the weight vest. The fully laden vest would still have wiped me out halfway through, so I removed a lot of the weights before the start and brought it down to around 2.5kg. Now before anyone tells me that's nothing, a pathetic addition, I want to see you complete the 2.5 hour Friday Capoiera session and manage the walk back up to my house with just 1kg extra weight. It's not much, no, but it's enough. The result was a somewhat leaden walk (now with all weights restored) back up the hill after class. It was satisfying though, to finally do that; if I can get to 10% of my body weight in a vest while doing Capoiera, I'll be pretty pleased with that.

I dried some more rice and tried to find a way to keep cameras, torches and GPS charged for 30 days as well. It took a while, but I've finally found a combination of solar cells and a charger light enough to do the job and be worth carrying. The problem has been that I'm trying to find a lightweight solution to power all the different types of devices of various brands. I think that has been achieved at last, though I'll have to test the somewhat makeshift setup for myself to be certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment