Sunday 30 September 2012

Week 8: Knees

Well, it turns out that knees don't take side impacts well. The encounter between my knee and a raft was being felt throughout the week, until I gave in and went to a physio. He used the same method of checking the injury, generally prodding and twisting my leg, then repeating specifically on the areas that hurt. There must be a better way of checking the severity of an injury!

The prognosis was that I had been very lucky. His initial reaction upon hearing the description of how I'd been injured was not promising but he relented somewhat after examining it. Tape the knee for a week, not do anything "too crazy" for another fortnight and I should be fine. That's what he said anyway. But either my knee's not injured at all or he uses a different definition of crazy from mine. By luck, my knee was spared its triple round of capoeira this week by dint of our instructor being away. But next week it'll be back to business as usual because capoeira is normal, not crazy.

So, bereft of physical training, what did I do for a week? The entire track is now loaded into the GPS. This was more difficult than you might think, as several sections are walks not so heavily frequented and there are no track files for them either on the built-in maps or on the numerous sites online. I've narrowed choices of sleeping mats down to three. I'm actually seriously considering an ultralight model, which I'd initially removed from the list out of concerns for their durability. While I'm still concerned, they're only less puncture resistant, not more prone to valve failure or delamination. Punctures are something that can be fixed on the track, and the weight of the UL mats is half that of their full-weight equivalents. Not yet fully convinced, but they're worth considering.

That about sums it up, not the most productive week as they go. I'll have to improve on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment