Monday 12 November 2012

Week #14: Some food, but not much else to report


Second last week of preparation and last week of work before the walk… Tracked down some quick-dry shorts and a long-sleeved shirt, marvelling as I did that I refuse to spend money on expensive fashionable clothes, but hardly baulk at $50 on a pair of shorts.
Almost all of the food is now dehydrated. A few more ingredients from Sarah to dry and the drier’s efforts will be complete. No doubt it’s looking forward to the break, since it’s been running flat-out for weeks…
It turns out that 160 serves of cooked meals takes a lot of time to cook and then return to a dried state afterwards. It’s meant that our kitchen has been filled with delicious smells for weeks, although still not being able to eat them has been a form of mild torture. Why oh why didn’t I prepare 170 serves and enjoy a few along the way?
Through no effort of my own, I now have a new Whisperlite stove. Work gave me one as a resignation retirement present on Friday. There’s something satisfying about saying I’ve retired, and having it be true. I’ve finished engineering and have no intention of going back to it, retiring from that career with no new job lined up… the fact that I may find a few career path someday is entirely irrelevant.
I feel like there should be more to add here, but really it has just been a week of trying to finish off all my jobs at work and dehydrating food in the evenings. There’s nothing else to add to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment